Friday, October 29, 2010

Hospital Stay

It's been a while since I last updated the blog and a lot has happened. I will get up-to-speed soon, but I thought I would start with this.

Last Sunday night I was in severe pain. Trent asked if I was in labor, but since I haven’t expereienced this before I didn’t really know if I was or not.

Was it labor pains or gas pains? I thought about going to the emergency room but I really didn’t want to be told “go home, you have gas!”. I decided to wait it out and see how I felt in the morning since I didn’t have any other signs of labor.

The next day I got up, showered, went back to bed because I was still in pain, managed to get myself out of bed and go to work to then realize that I wasn’t able to function due to the pain. I grabbed my purse and keys and headed to the doctor’s office. Thankfully, they squeezed me in and Dr. S told me I probably had a kidney stone. He sent me home to hydrate and rest. He said if the pains gets unbearable to go to the hospital. My main concern was whether or not I would have to go to the emergency room. He told that I just needed to go to the labor and delivery floor and they would take care of me.

So, I headed home and spent 4 long hours rolling around on the floor, bed and couch just trying to get comfortable. No such luck! Plus I hadn’t been able to eat in over 12 hours because of the pain. I decided it was time. I packed a bag, since I wasn’t sure how long I would be there and headed to the hospital. Within 20 minutes I had an IV drip, morphine injection and was on a gurney being wheeled through the hospital to get an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder. I realized at that moment that being escorted through the hospital on a gurney gives life a whole different perspective.

Question…why is it that I can’t take anything stronger than Tylenol while pregnant, but multiple doses of Morphine are just fine while I’m in the hospital? Not that I’m complaining…the pain meds made the hospital stay tolerable.

I ended up spending 22 unfortunate hours at Mercy Hospital but am feeling a lot better. The ultrasound didn’t detect any kidney stones, although they could still exist, but I learned that my babies are laying on my kidneys causing them to back up and not work properly which caused all the pain. I so love these little guys, but I’m ready for them to make their grand entrance into the world. Between my kidneys, back pain, constant contractions and heartburn, I’m afraid these next two weeks are going to be long and uncomfortable. BUT, this too will pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment