Monday, June 14, 2010

The Long Run


In January of 2009, my good friend talked me into training for the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon. A few weeks into training, I roped my cousin (and good friend) Angie into joining the group as well. Our fearless leader, Kristi, offered brunch after each Saturday training run and who can turn down girl time and breakfast once a week. It was therapy like no other. Not only was the running therapy, but so was the weekly girl time. I looked forward to it every week. April came around and we finished the Half Marathon despite the conditions, which were hot and sticky. We said we would run it again next year, but might consider running the full marathon instead.

In January of 2010, Kristi informed us that she was going to train for the full marathon. Angie and I decided that we would buck up and train for the full as well. Plus I figured kids would be coming soon and this might be the last time for awhile that I would have this much time to myself. We trained in sub-freezing temperatures, snow and rain.

In February, Trent and I decided to quit trying not to get pregnant and just see what happens. I really didn't think it would happen so fast. I found out on April 1st that I was pregnant and after a lot of thought decided that I wouldn't run the full marathon. I did, however, run a couple of 18 milers and a 20 miler while not knowing I was pregnant. Although I didn't run the full Marathon this year, I was proud of my other accomplishments. One of these days I will add the extra 6.2 miles to that 20. Here is the picture of the treadmill I took right after I finished 20 miles.


I followed my running buddies on the course the day of the race; the finish line was bitter sweet. I was so proud of my friends for their accomplishment and a little sad that I wasn't there beside them, while at the same time so happy to be pregnant. I have learned during my short stint of pregnancy that it's all about sacrifice…sacrificing my body, my time, my emotions, etc. I know motherhood will be even more of a sacrifice.

A friend from High School writes a blog and I really enjoyed this article on the parallels between running and parenting. If you are a runner check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment