Monday, April 25, 2011

How To: Baby Food - Carrots, Applesauce and Green Beans

I've been eager to make baby food, but haven't had the time or ingredients when I did have the time.  Luckily, one day last week I came home to two super happy babies so I jumped at my chance to do a little cooking/experimenting and here is how it went down.

I started with fresh baby carrots

Steamed until fork tender.
 
Chopped
Added water to get desired consistency.
  
Finished product
 I repeated the same process for applesauce.

Cored and pealed two apples.

Steamed

Pureed

Next up was green beans; I didn't have fresh so I used frozen.
Microwaved for 6 minutes in the steamer bag.

Chopped

I later realized I should have used the blender on the green beans to get a smoother texture.

I poured the carrots, apples and green beans in ice trays to freeze.  This way I can thaw what I need each day or every couple of days.  There are all kinds of products on the market to streamline this process, but I wanted to try it first with what I had before spending $200 on the cooking gadget and individual storage containers.

All-in-all, it was relatively easy and didn't take that much time to make.  Cost wise, it's a lot cheaper to make fresh then to purchase pre-made baby food

Since I enjoyed making it so much, I think I will treat myself to one of these cook books.




The Boys chillin in the kitchen while I cooked.


1 comment:

  1. Refreshing to know what the food looks like...before.

    ReplyDelete